About the job
A company secretary cannot hold office in more than one company, but he/she can hold office in the subsidiary company simultaneously.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Company Secretary
The CS appointed by a company must perform the following functions as provided in Section 205 of the Act:
- Report to the board of directors about the compliance statement of the company.
- Ensure that the company is complying with all secretarial standards.
- Do all such other duties as prescribed by the company board of directors from time to time.
Duties of a Company Secretary
Rule 10 of the Rules provides the duties of the CS, which are as follows:
- Provide the company directors guidance as they may require concerning their powers, duties and responsibilities.
- Facilitate the convening of meetings, attend general, board and committee meetings, and maintain the minutes of these meetings.
- Obtain approvals from the general and board meetings, government, and other required authorities as provided under the provisions of the Act.
- Represent before several regulators and other authorities under the Act connected with the discharge of duties under the Act.
- Assist the company board in the conduct of the company affairs.
- Advice and assist the board in complying with the corporate governance requirements, ensuring good corporate governance and best practices.
- Discharge such other duties as specified under the Act or rules.