About the job
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
A single decision can have many outcomes. And when that decision affects hundreds of thousands of customers and employees, it needs to be the right one. That’s where our Enterprise Credit & Fraud Risk(CFR) Management comes in. CFR is the backbone of all financial services operations at American Express—it impacts every aspect of the company. As a part of this team, you’ll work with the industry’s top CFR teams to create smart and innovative strategies that advance our market share and the way we do business. If you’re interested in getting to know all areas of our business and can translate our business needs into remarkable solutions, you should consider a career in CFR.
There are three Job families within Enterprise Credit & Fraud Risk Management. Specific job responsibilities vary as per the Job family.
- Decision Sciences: Development, deployment and validation of predictive model(s) and supporting use of models in economic logic to enable profitable decisions across risk, fraud and marketing
- Strategy and Insights: Development, review and/or execution of economic logic & analytical solutions to drive profitable marketing or credit business actions.
- AI Research: AI Researchers in Amex AI Labs work on cutting edge science and technology around Deep Learning, Data Science, NLP, and Cloud technologies. The team works on challenging research problems in domains such as services, human resource management, travel & lifestyle, and many more. The key goal is to progress the state of the art in science and develop products to solve business problems
Decision Science, Strategy and Insights:
- Analyze large amounts of data to derive business insights and create innovative solutions
- Leverage the power of closed loop through Amex network to make decisions more intelligent and relevant
- Innovate with a focus on developing newer and better approaches using big data & machine learning solution
- Ideate and contribute to innovations to help solve business problems
- Read, understand papers in AI and ML and use the concepts to come up with novel ideas
- Perform POC on Ideas and concepts to test feasibility
- Contribute to product strategy and roadmap; recommend the nature and scope of present and future state of the AI Platforms.
- Contribute to patents and publication of research
Critical Factors to Success:
- Drive billing, revenue growth and profitability through advanced analytical techniques
- Maximize business returns by institutionalizing efficient and accurate models.
- Innovate Modeling Techniques and Variable creation
- Ensure Modeling Accuracy and enhance modeling efficiency in existing processes using Machine Learning
- Put enterprise thinking first, connect the role’s agenda to enterprise priorities and balance the needs of customers, partners, colleagues & shareholders.
- Lead with an external perspective, challenge status quo and bring continuous innovation to our existing offerings
- Demonstrate learning agility, make decisions quickly and with the highest level of integrity
- Lead with a digital mindset and deliver the world’s best customer experiences every day
- MBA, Master’s Degree In Economics, Statistics, Computer Science or related fields.
- For AI Researcher – Bachelors/Masters/PhD in a quantitative field like Computer Science, Operations Research, Statistics etc.
- 4-8 years’ experience in analytics, big data workstreams.
- Past people leadership experience is a plus.
- Ability to drive project deliverables to achieve business results
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently
- Good Programming skills are a must
- Excellent problem formulation and solving skills
- Analytics & Insights & Targeting
- SAS, R, Python, Hive, Spark, SQL
- Advanced Statistical Techniques
- Hands on programming and ability to design
- Data Science/Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence
- Expertise in Coding, Algorithm, High Performance Computing
- Unsupervised and supervised techniques -: active learning, transfer learning, neural models, Decision trees, reinforcement learning, graphical models, Gaussian processes, Bayesian models, Map Reduce techniques, attribute engineering
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.